Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Chicken Fried Rice

Being a college student, I'm always in a rush or too busy to have the patience to cook a time-consuming meal. So last week, my roommate and I ordered Chinese food (sesame chicken, yum!). We had a lot of extra rice. The next night, I decided that I wanted to eat fried rice. However, I was limited to certain ingredients because I didn't have too many vegetables in the fridge. Oh, and I also cheated. Cheated how? You'll see later. I just love how versatile fried rice is and there's no way one could fail at making fried rice.





Once again, I apologize for the poor quality of the picture. It was taken with my phone last week to show my boyfriend what I made for dinner, not for a blog. You can edit the measurements or add your own measurements (since this was eyeballed) for the ingredients.

Chicken Fried Rice
 3-4 servings.

Ingredients

- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Vegetable oil (substituting for a different oil is probably fine)
- Perdue Carved Chicken Breast (3/4 box, I was too lazy to thaw my chicken breast, so why not?)
- Leftover cold white rice
- Soy sauce
- Broccoli (and/or other vegetables)
- 2 eggs (we ran out of eggs so I used Egg Beaters)
- Pepper

Directions

1.  Pour a bit of vegetable oil into a medium frying pan. While you're waiting for the oil to heat up, beat 2 eggs into a small bowl. Pour the eggs into the frying pan once the oil heats up. Flip the egg and fry the opposite side once the first side is finished.
2. Take out the fried egg and put it on a cutting board. Slice the egg into smaller pieces. Theoretically, you could also cut up the egg with a wooden spoon or whichever utensil you are using to cook.
3. Add more vegetable oil in the empty frying pan. Add half of your minced garlic to the oil. Let the garlic and oil heat up.
4. Add the white rice to the oil and garlic mixture. Add a little bit of soy sauce and stir. Add half of the eggs and stir. Add more soy sauce as you continue to stir. Add the remainder of the eggs and a bit more soy sauce. Stir.
5. Let the fried rice heat up some more. In a small frying pan, add a little bit of oil (I used olive oil for this step). Then throw in the remainder of the garlic along with the onions. Let the oil, garlic, and onions simmer and heat up. Slice up the chicken breast so that they are bite size. Add the chicken breast and broccoli (and other vegetables, I only had access to broccoli at the time). Add a dash of pepper. Fry the chicken and broccoli as you please.
6. Pour the chicken and broccoli contents to the frying pan with the rice. Add a bit more soy sauce (as much as you please). Stir the fried rice to spread the ingredients. Cook the fried rice for as long as you please (I like letting my fried rice sit for a bit to make some of the edges crispy).

Enjoy! You can serve this as the main dish (as I did) or as a side dish. Add all of the ingredients you wish to add. I really wished I had access to Chinese sausage when I made this dish. It would've given the fried rice even more flavor. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment